11 February 2009

Black and White Memories

Courtney had a roll of black and white film in his 35mm camera for a few months, and snapped a few shots every now and then. We just got them developed, and I am reminded of one of the joys of digital - no lag time! Some of these photos seem ancient! So here's a little blast from the past, in black and white.

This was Tallis at about 2 weeks of age - he was still wearing his newborn-sized onesie. What a skinny little sweetie. One thing I seem to recall about Tallis at this age was how surprisingly alert, interactive and observant he was. He always had good neck strength and head control, so he seemed to lack some of the newborn characteristics. To me, at least, he looks small but "mature" in this photo. The spirit in his body has always seemed very grown up to me. I wish I could put him in this same chair and do a comparison shot from then to now, but I accidentally stepped on the chair (while it was empty!) and broke one of the arms! Maybe a quick duct tape job for the sake of a photo would be worth it - Tallis would FILL that chair now! (I think I just inspired myself to whip out the tape.... watch for a future post with comparison shots!)

When Tallis was 3 weeks old we went on a weekend trip to Denali National Park and camped at the Savage River Campground in my parents' RV. We saw this bear along the road, about three miles from the camp, on two separate occasions. (Including the time that Courtney almost ran him over! Don't tell the ranger!) He was digging for roots, which is strange for a bear to do so late in the year, due to the very poor berry crop in 2008. Thanks for not eating us, hungry bear! We tried to show Tallis the bear, but he didn't care. Three-week-olds have no appreciation for coolness. (Don't worry, Grandma, we were safely protected inside the truck!)


Here the three of us are in Denali on that same trip. It's hard to see in the photo, but the mountain was visible to the right, over Courtney's shoulder. We had slightly chilly but beautiful weather. The fall colors were gorgeous and we spotted a bear (above), caribou, Dall sheep, and moose in great settings. Aaahhh... (Tallis looks so little in this photo!)


We took a short hike along the Savage River, which put me just about at my limit (or slightly over it) as I was still recovering from delivery. Here we are taking a breather in the canyon. I wish you could see the colors and glimmers from the metal oxides, quartz, and mica in those rocks. The texture is well captured in black and white, though!


When Tallis was 7 weeks old we took the RV again (posh camping, eh?) and went to the Trail River Campground on Kenai Lake for the weekend. That was a nice trip! Relaxing, pristine, gorgeous.... This was us on a little day hike to a small lake in the area. Tallis is a great hiker and seems very content in the outdoors. Oh, how I look forward to summer again!


I love this photo! This was Courtney's work, trying to get our little bean to sit up for a photo LONG before he had the ab strength to do it right! By the time Courtney would remove his hands to go hit the camera button, Tallis would slide sideways into the pillow. Nice try, Dad!


Here we are on October 30th at the Cuddlers parenting group for the mini Halloween celebration. Tallis is 3 months young and we are 30-something years old. :)

Last, but not least, is a series of two shots that I'm so proud of Courtney for getting! Unfortunately, we did not record the exact date (dang!), but this was some time about the last week of December. Here's Tallis posing for the camera. Notice the Pooh Bear near his head. He decided he wanted to go eat that Pooh Bear, and lo and behold....
... he rolled over for the first time intentionally! We got the first roll on camera! Yay! Good for Dad, having the camera out and ready at the precise moment we needed it! Good for Tallis, finally taking the matter of rolling over into his own hands, with the help of Pooh Bear, of course.

No comments: