17 March 2010

100 words and counting

Tallis has now reached and surpassed his first 100 words! All this progress in just a few (3 or 4?) weeks. It seems to be one of his characteristics to wait to make a milestone until he can do it with quick success. For instance, he waited 12 extra days past his "due date" to be born, but then he came without much trouble. Then he waited until he was 15 months old to even act like he was interested in walking, but once he started, it only took him a week to look like an old pro at that upright movement stuff. Then he had me very worried that he was never going to talk. But all of a sudden he learns at least 5 if not 10 words a day. I told myself I would keep track until we got to 100, and I think we got there yesterday, but already he's got more than 110, with a couple sentences thrown in every now and then, but not consistently enough for me to be sure about them yet. (I think he said "Hold my bear", referring to Winnie, and "I want to stay", when asked if he wanted to get out of the bathtub yet.)

Anyway, here are his first 100 words, in simple alphabetical order, since I couldn't keep up with his pace in chronological order anyway! The first word, I think we would have to agree, was "dog". (Poor kid, incredibly fearless dog lover that he is, doesn't realize yet that he has parents who will probably NEVER get him a dog, especially after months of volunteer labor picking up other people's dog poop. He may rue the day we became park hosts!) Sadly, he didn't say "Mama" until somewhere in the 70s. Can you believe that? We only got there a few days ago.... finally! Still working on "please", but we've got "thank you" down pat!

Animals
Apple
Away
Baby
Ba-Bye
Back
Ball
Balloon
Banana
Bear
Bed
Bird
Book
Boots
Bread
Bubbles
Bum
Car
Chair
Charlie
Cheese
Daddy
Dance
Diaper
Dirty
Dog
Door
Drink
Duck
Ears
Eat
Eggs
Elmo
Eyes
Face
Fish
Garage
Gloves
Hair
Hat
Head
Help
Horse
House
Jesus
Juice
Keys
Kiss
Light
Magnet
Mama
Mess
Milk
Mine
Moose
More
No
Noodles
Nose
Orange
Outside
Owie
Painting
Pants
Paper
Penguin
People
Pig
Pillow
Plane
Potty
Rocks
Sheep
Shoe
Snow
Socks
Spoon
Star
Stinky
Stir
Stop
Story
Stuck
Swimming
Teeth
Temple
Thank You
Tired
Toes
Toys
Train
Tree
Truck
Uh-oh
Washer
Water
Wet
Winnie
Wipes
Yes

No comments: