All summer I anticipated him developing into a walker, but that just didn’t happen. Tallis was a very happy crawler, asphalt play area and all. By July he was “cruising” a bit, walking while holding onto a stable object, but only on occasion and not with any motivation to let go. Occasionally he would let go, without consciously choosing to do so, and I’d find him standing for several seconds at a time under his own support. He had good balance, but not much drive to walk. If we tried to stand him up on his feet and hold onto his hands, he would just bend his knees and sit. Thanks, but no thanks, Mom and Dad!
We observed Tallis watching other kids his age that could walk, but his expression was undecipherable. Was it wonder or disdain or indifference or was he studying them? Hmmm…. Don’t get me wrong in thinking that I wanted him to walk early. I’ve always known that when he started talking and walking I’d stop calling him my “baby” all the time, and that was a sad day to anticipate. But as he started getting heavier I started daydreaming about not having to carry him all the time….
Regardless, we had a non-walker on our hands. The following video was taken as we were moving into our new apartment during the first week of October (you can hear me installing the mini-blinds in the background).
Yes, not only was Tallis the fastest crawler of his age group, but quickly becoming the ONLY crawler of his age group, at a solid 14 months of age with very little progress made.
Several days after that video, at a friend’s house, we stood Tallis up while holding onto one of those kiddy push cars. He pushed it around and walked like a pro! I had an “ah-ha” moment – Tallis had all the skills he needed to walk, he just wasn’t in a hurry to use them. He had the form and the balance and the motion, and I could rest easy knowing that he wasn’t actually developmentally challenged! :) Sure, he was still getting heavy, but I could handle it.
Then, on November 6th, just after he turned 15 months, we decided to go to a movie and not take Tallis. We called Beth, who is Tallis’ favorite person and secret crush, and she said she could watch him for a few hours. He was delighted to be left with her, we enjoyed the movie, and when I came back to get Tallis and spent time there with him and Beth, he started doing amazing things. First, I saw him get up to standing from a sitting position with no help or support. He never did that before! Then he started moving his feet while standing! I was floored, and he soon was doing 3 steps between Beth and I, motivated and delighted with himself. From ZERO to beginning walker in 1 hour or less. Amazing. The joke will always be that Tallis felt the need to impress Beth with his maturity and skill so that she would reconsider her marriage to Bjorn and take him instead, so he pulled out all the stops. Really, the kid is infatuated with her!
By Sunday the 8th he was doing 10 steps at a time unsupported, and whole hallways at church with a hand to hold. The following video captures some of that evening’s practice.
As I write this on the 10th, he’s not doing longer distances, but he’s logging more time on two feet, with or without our encouragement or presence. He’s making quick improvements in turning and stepping over small obstacles. I never knew I could be so proud of such an apparently small thing. Way to go, Tallis! We have a walker!
No comments:
Post a Comment